The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Course is your ticket to the realms of working as a PADI Pro. Live the dream and take your passion of Scuba Diving, and be a Dive Professional!
The PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) consists of two separate but linked programs – the PADI Assistant Instructor (AI) Course and the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program.
The first part of the IDC is the AI Course, in which you gain an overview of the instructor development process and are introduced to preparing and delivering presentations for confined water, knowledge development and open water teaching.
After completing the AI Course, you’ll be qualified to conduct several programs independently, and also serve as a more qualified instructional assistant in other programs.
Many of our candidates choose to tackle the AI Course and move straight into the OWSI Program. We structure our Instructor Development Courses to allow either approach, ensuring you are able to complete the overall program at your own pace.
Having completed the AI Course, you’re ready to move into the OWSI Program. Here, you’ll further refine your teaching skills, and learn how to apply those skills in the full range of programs that a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor can teach.
You’ll be introduced to topics on PADI standards and procedures, business aspects of diving, risk management and other areas that will assist in your preparation for becoming a professional dive instructor.
We schedule our PADI Instructor Development Courses over 9 daysto give you the chance to learn at a comfortable pace, and to practice as much as possible.
To enrol on the PADI IDC you must meet the following criteria:
- Be certified as a PADI Divemaster (or equivalent)
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have been a certified diver for at least 6 months
- Have logged at least 100 dives & show proof of deep, night & navigation dives (we can help you add any dives you need to meet these criteria)
- Submit a medical statement signed by a diving physician dated within past 12 months
- Submit proof of CPR and First Aid Training within the last 24 months. (If you haven’t taken a CPR and First Aid course within the last 24 months you can take PADI Emergency First Response with us before your IDC)
What are the prerequisites for the IE (Instructors Exam)?
To be able to take the PADI Instructor Exam (IE) you need to have completed an IDC and logged at least 100 dives (you’ll do at least 10 dives during your Instructor course so as long as you have 90 at the start of your IDC it’s enough).
Instructor courses includes
- EFR Instructor Course
- EFR Instructor Pack
- PADI Instructor Development Course
- PADI IDC Online e-Learning Access pass
- PADI Instructor Pack
- 24/7 use of on-site heated pool and classrooms before and during the course (schedule dependent)
- Air-fills, tanks and weights during the course
- Career Advise
- Employment guarantee (conditions apply)
The IDC Crew Pack includes all the books and other materials you need for your PADI IDC & EFR courses:
- PADI’s Guide to Teaching (with hologram)
- PADI Open Water Diver Quizzes and Exam booklet
- PADI Rescue Diver Final Exams booklet
- PADI Divemaster Final Exams booklet
- Aquatic Cue Cards for Open Water Diver Course, Confined Water and Open Water
- Aquatic Cue Cards for Adventures in Diving
- Aquatic Cue Cards for Rescue Diver
- Aquatic Cue Cards for Divemaster course
- Confined Water Lesson Preparation slate
- Open Water Training Dive Lesson Planning slate
- PADI Specialty Instructor Manual (DVD)
- PADI EFR Instructor Manual
What to bring
- You will need a full set of diving gear for the IDC (MSF, BCD, regulator, wetsuit) and you are also required to have the following: knife/cutting device, two surface signalling devices – one audible and one visible, compass, torch and dive computer. If you don’t have your gear, please contact us to enquiry about gear hire or about the Frog Dive student gear specials (we will look after you!)
- Medical Examination Form signed by a diving physician (max. 12 months old)
- Verification of CPR and first aid training (max. 24 months old)
- Certification proof for OW, AOW, Rescue, EFR, DM or equivalent (If any of your previous dive courses were non-PADI you’ll need to bring a photocopy of the front and back of your certification cards)
- Diving logbook showing your 100th dives
- Credit card to pay your fees to PADI on the day of your Instructor Exam (PADI only accept credit card for these fees)
- Don’t forget to bring a smile and a sense of fun and adventure!
IDC Pricing 2020
- PADI IDC Pack (contains required instructor materials) - $550.00
- PADI Instructor Development Course - $1995.00
- EFR Instructor Start up pack (contains required instructor materials) - $295.00
- EFR First Aid Instructor Course (required for Instructor certification) - $325.00
Total for IDC - $3165.00
Fees Paid DIRECT to PADI
- PADI Instructor application fee - $293.70
- EFR Instructor application fee - $202.40
- PADI IE fee - $930.00
- PADI Specialty Instructor fees - $116.60